In the mid-to-late 1970s, while he was on active duty with the U.S. Navy, Nicholas Krawec was assigned a collateral duty as his ship’s legal assistance officer. And it was a role that would change his life.
“Having the opportunity to assist crew members with various personal legal issues and working with Navy lawyers in the preparation of court martial cases heightened my interest in the legal profession,” he says.
Today, Bernstein-Burkley, P.C.’s tenacious and trustworthy partner considers his greatest strength as a lawyer to be his strong work ethic and willingness to put in the necessary time, both in the office and working remotely, to get the job done for his clients.
After completing active duty, he would go on to earn his law degree from Duquesne University, and for more than 35 years has been practicing in the following areas:
- Commercial Litigation
- Collection Law
- Creditors’ Rights
- Industrial Products
- Real Estate
Prior to joining Bernstein-Burkley, P.C., Nicholas worked as a contract administrator for Westinghouse Electric Corporation’s Plant Apparatus Division, negotiating and administering contracts for the procurement of naval nuclear propulsion components.
- Active Duty, United States Navy, 1975-79; Commander, United States Naval Reserve, 1979-96 (Retired); Veteran of Operation Desert Storm, 1991; awarded Navy Achievement Medal
- Education: University of Pittsburgh (B.A., cum laude, 1974)
- Duquesne University (J.D., 1983); Law Review
- Admitted to bars of Pennsylvania 1983; North Carolina 2000; Ohio 2000
- Admitted Jurisdictions: United States Court of Appeals, Third Circuit; United States District Court for the Western and Middle Districts of Pennsylvania; United States Supreme Court
Affiliations and Memberships:
- Certified Creditors’ Rights Specialist by the American Board of Certification
- Member of the Allegheny County Bar Association (Bankruptcy and Commercial Law section)
- Board Secretary, Friends of the Pittsburgh Fisher House
- Immediate Past Area Chairman, Southwest Pennsylvania Committee for Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve
- Vice President, Pittsburgh Sea Services, Chapter 50 of the Reserve Officers Association of the U.S.
- Judge Advocate, Pittsburgh Council of the Navy League of the U.S.
- Member, Commercial Law League of America (past Chair of the Creditors’ Rights section)
- Seminar speaker for Lorman Education Services and National Business Institute
- Named a Pennsylvania Superlawyer in the field of Creditors’ Rights by Philadelphia Magazine every year since 2008
- Has achieved and maintained certification as a Creditors’ Rights Specialist since 1993
- How to Improve Your Chances of Receiving Payment from a Risky Customer
- Read Those Terms and Conditions…..“Battle of the Forms”
- A Guide to Alternative Dispute Resolution: Arbitration and Mediation
- Building and Expanding Your Business Network and Relationships in a Tight Economy